Symposium Southern Perspectives On Transition Design
June 8th and 9th 2017
Transition Design is an emerging field of practice, study and research promoting an active role of design in the transition to more sustainable futures. Considering the complexity of challenges such as climate change, bio-diversity loss, depletion of non-renewable resources, rising inequality or migration crisis, it proposes to integrate different branches of knowledge together along with design’s culture in our response to them. It’s activity is centered in domains such as the relationship between stakeholders and transitions at a systematic level that are always assesed against the context and quality of everyday lifestyles.
The symposium Southern Perspectives on Transition Design aims to be a forum to advance the definition, knowledge, research and practice of the Transition Design with the contribution southern European and Latin perspective among others.
Thursday June, 8, 19.00h
Conference by Terry Irwin, director of the Design Carnegie Mellon University of Philadelphia, USA, on the Design for Transition. Interventions by Gideon Kossoff, researcher in Transition Design at CMU, and Cameron Tonkinhwise, director of PhD studies at CMU and professor at University of Technology of Sidney.
Friday 9, June, from 9.30h to 6.00h PM
Local agents from different origins (design, housing cooperatives, art, sociology, citizens’ movements, philosophy) present experiences related to design for transition, in order to generate a collective debate, with the participation of Terry Irwin, Gideon Kossoff and Cameron Tonkinhwise.
Hosted by: Adrià Garcia i Mateu
Workshop with local stakeholders to take the praxis of the design for transition to the aspects learnt in the morning session.
Academic sessions with communication presentations and posters related to the fields:
- Southern perspectives on Transition Design
- New lifestyles for transition
- Design, art and / or contemporary thought in transition / for the transition.
Led by: researchers from EINA’s Research Group, Design Processes.
- EINA, Centre Universitari de Disseny i Art adscrit a la Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Design processes EINA Research Group
- Projecte MINECO FFI2015-64138-P Generating Knowledge in Artistic Research: Towards an Alternative Account. A Meeting Point of Philosophy, Art and Design. IP: Gerard Vilar
- Màster Oficial EEES: Màster Universitari de Recerca en Art i Disseny, MURAD, EINA-UAB